Managed WordPress

One feature I would like to see is

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Managed Wordpress Platform Users - Granular Permissions

Allow assignment of granular permissions to users in the managed wordpress platform. E.g. restrict access to only certain sites. E.g. for purposes of granting staging / push to live access to third party developers, while preserving security of other sites.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a "Copy Staging to Live" button.

The Copy to Staging button is so useful for upgrading plugins and testing everything. If everything is good it would be helpful to have a button to send the changes to production. This is a must-have feature in my opinion.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to have multiple ftp users instead of just one

Allow us to have multiple ftp logins for the accounts so that each user that has access to an install can have their own ftp login to that site

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Ani King responded

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding sftp users within Managed WordPress. While we currently have sftp/ssh users and permissions set up with security in mind, I understand that may not be allowing you to accomplish what you need, and we are actively reviewing ways to improve upon ways that you and others access your sites.

4. Bandwidth and disk storage metrics

Ability to view bandwidth and storage metrics in Managed WordPress dashboard for each site.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. It would be nice to have someone on your team monitor SSL certificate renewals on the Managed WordPress Platform to avoid sites going down.

I have had a number of Managed WordPress Sites fail lately due to the auto renewal of SSL certificates functionality ceasing to function. Instead of waiting for customers to complain that their site isn't working, it would be nice if you'd assign someone on your team to monitor those frequently and just make sure these certs don't expire.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Ani King responded

Thank you for letting us know this has been causing trouble and affecting your sites. A supervisor will reach out shortly to make sure your sites are all currently functional, and we will also look improving this process going forward, including improvements to our monitoring systems.

6. Manged Wordpress - allow primary domain changes without DNS check

Can you consider allowing us to change the primary domain without checking to see if the A record points to the IP address first?

Doing so would allow us to use firewall services like sucuri or to test out the new host by editing our host files.

Also, it prevents the short amount of downtime while the A record points to the new server but the certificate is not setup etc..

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  Ani King responded

We are currently looking at ways to improve upon domain changes and appreciate you sharing your feedback about how this impacts you so we can make sure it’s considered as we go forward.

7. Email or text notification when nightly automatic site backup fails

It would be helpful to receive a text or email when a backup fails so we could do a manual one. We've had a handful of random failures of Wordpress automatic backups; for our main site that's updated daily, even a single missed backup could be a problem.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  Lindsey responded

John, I cannot believe we haven’t thought of this before! Obviously, we should and do take backups seriously. I really like this idea and can’t wait to take it to our Managed WordPress team for review. Thank you for your feedback.

8. Managed Wordpress Backup Additional Features Needed

Please add backup ability for staging environment.
    Also when users do a manual backup, let them name the backup.
    These are 2 very important features that WPEngine has, and you should too

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Ani King responded

Thank you for reaching out to let us know a few ways we can improve upon our backup system within Managed WordPress. We’re reviewing these suggestions, and appreciate the feedback.

9. specify pages for visual comparison tool

It would be great to have the ability to define special pages that are used for comparison. Usecase: there are fragile pages that break easily.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Timezone specific plugin/core updates

Can you implement a timezone selection for the server that affects the automated update tasks it performs? As it stands presently, I operate on GMT and because all automation tasks are set using CST it means that all my sites start to update around 09:00 GMT when people are trying to use them. Also, I can't create a rename websites in the morning presently because the task is put at the back of the plugin update queue. In short, I can only use MWP for half my working day.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add the ability to determine what time automatic plugin updates are ran.

Due to some accounts being outside of the U.S. It would be nice if the timing of the automatic plugin updates were set to run at a time that is not during business hours in other time zones such as GMT.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Offer protection for wp-admin and wp-login

For managed wordpress, please consider implementing a feature where you can add a basic auth password on wp-admin/login easily from the managed wordpress portal.

A simple nginx conf file and htpasswd file would do the trick.

It's nice to have a second password on these.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to submit/add A Record

We have an internal domain with the same external website name. While this is not best practice, the general work around would be to have an alias/a record in DNS to re-direct the traffic. In the case of Liquid Web, although they accept both www and non-www requests, they strip any www request and direct it to it's non-www domain. This is where the problem exists for my website.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add an warning that enabling PASSWORD PROTECTION may break cron jobs.

I had enabled PASSWORD PROTECTION on a site I was testing and went back and forth a bit with support on why my cron jobs wasn't working. After a few days finally found out that password protection will break cron jobs since they can loop back to the site. While that's understandable it should be a warning, it also makes it nearly impossible to test development of plugins without use of a cron, so a work around or solution for this would be good since it's advertised as "This can be especially useful during site development."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. More than 1 email address for managed WP site notifications

Please allow more than one email address to receive update notifications on a Managed WP site

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Don't rewrite embeded images when creating a staging site

When embeding images from a third party site (e.g. Amazon S3) and you create a staging site, all images break. This makes the site kind of unusable if off load plugins are being used.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Customize response time for plugin updater tool

i get 30 emails a night saying "plugin update failed for xyz website" (one for each website on my server). when i go into an install to review the plugin updates, the issue is that the tool is not letting the website load fully before comparing, so the sliders and other visual things looks different enough to trigger the failure. how can we get the system to actually let the page load all the way first before comparing? there is no real issue 100% of the time so far that I have checked, it's just not letting the page load…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Don't put sensitive files in world readable folders

During a "manual" migration the wp-config.php from my old site was renamed to wp-config.php.orig, and left in the html folder, meaning it was publicly viewable to anyone.
    PLUS, a database dump was performed and left in the html folder, exposing the entire database to anyone who put the URL into a browser.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Manage WordPress, as advertised

You advertise "Managed WordPress", well, manage it! If there are errors coming from CORE WordPress, look into them and fix them, don't claim they are "developer issues" and wash your hands.

Examples:
    [07-Apr-2019 10:14:38 UTC] PHP Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/s6/html/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php on line 755

wp core verify-checksums
    Warning: File doesn't verify against checksum: wp-config-sample.php
    Error: WordPress installation doesn't verify against checksums.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When we Copy live site to staging, exclude Users' email addresses from the search and replace.

I didn't know it would replace all the email addresses when the site was copied, so I couldn't log in with my email address and had no idea why.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Managed WordPress

Feedback and Knowledge Base